Historic Eldon in Appomattox, Virginia
Eldon is an impressive 3-story home on approximately 25 acres in the historic Appomattox VA countryside. Four tall white Tuscan pillars frame the spacious porch to welcome you to this 18-room mansion that was originally built in 1825.
MLS #631887 $650,000
2332 Oakville Rd, Appomattox, VA 24522
Five south-facing gabled dormer windows and four tall white Tuscan pillars stand guard with wide porches on three sides of the 6000 sq.ft. home. It is an impressive sight. History is evident in the oak-paneled woodwork and 8 fireplaces that lend a commanding presence to the living spaces. Pocket doors were added in the 1800s to allow the entire downstairs to become one room where dignitaries, family, and friends gathered. In addition to the main home, the property also has a generator house as well as a separate cottage with its own kitchen. The three room generator house formerly contained an early generator which provided Eldon with electricity before it was available in the rest of the county.
Eldon was once home to Hal D. Flood, who was a member of the US House of Representatives and chairman of the Committee on Foreign Affairs from 1913 – 1919. Flood was also the author of the resolution declaring war on Germany and Austria in April 1917, and this home has likely hosted some important discussions through the years.